Sunday, May 11, 2014

My Momma's Wisdom

My momma left me with the knowledge I need to thrive in this life. She had 30 years to teach me everything she could, so by the time she passed away on February 17, 2014, I was ready. And I know that I am ready, not that it makes her physical absence any easier. Even throughout her battle with Alzheimer's she showed us all how strong a person can be and how much a mother can care for her family.


Linda Masden Steiner (1956-2014)

For my first Mother's Day, I want to share some of the tidbits my momma left with me. This is just a start and these are not things she necessarily said explicitly, more what I gleaned from her actions and admirable character. 


The one and only dance recital I performed in.
If you never met my momma, I am truly sorry. If you would like to get to know her better, we should hang out...I am trying to be more like her every day because she was amazing. 

My Momma's Wisdom (1 thru 25)

  1. Do what makes you happy.
  2. Racism and racial slurs are unacceptable. Everyone is equal and should be treated with respect.
  3. Eat dessert. Or have seconds, but eat what you want.
  4. Mourn death and then accept it.
  5. Wear less makeup and comfortable shoes.
  6. Marry your best friend.
  7. Smile.
  8. The kitchen is the best place in the house.
  9. Offer to buy homeless people food or give them your leftovers. If spare change is what you have, get it to them.
  10. Walk.
  11. Be nice to everyone. Hear their story if they want to share.
  12. Be confident.
  13. Sit at the table for family dinner.
  14. Good posture is important.
  15. Enjoy the beach.
  16. Spend time with family.
  17. Be a mother who is not always a best friend. 
  18. Don’t go to work or school sick. Perfect attendance isn’t worth it.
  19. Education is essential and good grades matter.
  20. No matter what you might think, it is not all about you. So get over yourself.
  21. Try not to judge others.
  22. Material things are not what matter.
  23. Birthdays are meant to be celebrated. 
  24. Encourage your children to try new things, but don't force them.
  25. Dinner should be enjoyed with music, not TV. 

Momma and Daddy on their wedding day (1981). 

I miss her but find comfort in knowing that she would be so proud. Happy Mother's Day. 

Momma meeting B at 6 days old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment