Monday, August 18, 2014

One Year Later...

This morning at 5:11 a.m. I was half way through the squat track during a Body Pump class at 24e thinking to myself:
I might not make it to the end of this...I think I added too much weight. My legs may give out. Is my quad supposed to burn like that? Oh man, I drank too much wine last night. And that bread pudding might not have been worth it.
Then I realized that exactly one year ago I was experiencing the worst pain of my life, followed by indescribable, surreal joy...followed up with more pain, then back to joy.

Barrett William Seal graced us with his presence at 5:11 a.m. on August 18, 2013. He was three weeks early, but fully developed and ready for the world. Mom and Dad were extremely naive and thought we were prepared. Needless to say, we have learned a lot in the past year and I am sure B has MUCH more to teach us.

B at two days old, still in the hospital.
I made it through the squat track and the rest of the workout because I kept thinking of the one, all-encompassing phrase that sums up the past year.
"This too shall pass."
From sleepless nights, endless feedings, seemingly pointless crying fits and miserable car rides, to runny noses and countless pediatrician visits...all the hard times dissolve into warm snuggle sessions, toothless grins, first words and baby laughter. The thing mom and dad have to remember is that all these times pass just as quickly as the others; being aware and present in the good and bad times is equally important. Knowing that B won't only eat beige food forever and will eventually stop teething is hard to comprehend in the moment. At the same time, while he is jabbering to himself, peacefully playing with his toys (or the remote) we have to take the time to adore the preciousness that is our sweet B.

Dad is seriously hysterical! 
"Ma, it's pizza...it's beige and I like it." - B
Parenting is hard. Harder than the squats I did this morning, fighting traffic, or managing challenges at work. Seeing his sweet face, hearing him mumble "ma-ma-ma," and even waking up in the middle of the night puts everything in to perspective.

Ready for Auburn Gameday!

No comments:

Post a Comment