Friday, April 4, 2014

Routine Adapting

ADAPT: Make something suitable for a new use or purpose; modify. 

Become adjusted to new conditions.


I used to think of myself as an easy, breezy, go-with-the-flow sort of person. Working at an ad agency makes you that way; nothing about my daily work life is predictable, other than the fact that shit will hit the fan.

But in real life, with a baby in tow, I need to know when things are going to happen so I can figure out feedings, naps, diapers, quiet time, germs and the ultimate unknowns.

B learning to eat real food.
For the most part, Monday thru Friday are fairly predictable. We have a routine and it works, until someone gets sick, or needs to be at work early, daycare is delayed due to weather, spring break and daycare is closed, we oversleep, etc. etc. 
Meeting his new bathtub for the first time.

Lately there is no such thing as routine; life is hectic. I realized this week I was sort of holding my breath waiting for the routine to kick back in. Not...gonna...happen. 

So my adapted routine will be to plan what we can. Being able to adapt to our surroundings is a skill we need; it makes us better employees, spouses, friends, and parents. I hope this is something we can teach B as we get better at it ourselves. Right now he is teaching us a few lessons on adaptability because for him everything is the unknown.

Never to meet a stranger, B chats up the car salesman.


This kid can sleep anywhere, but my favorite naps are when he is in my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment