Thursday, April 17, 2014

Variety is the Spice of Life

Dad and I try to eat as healthy as possible during the week so we can splurge on the weekends. Chicken is healthy, but can get REALLY boring. When Dad gets bored with food, we end up going out to eat, spending too much money, and not being very healthy. So I try to change things up during the week with new recipes. 

I found this recipe for Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs on Cooking Light. I LOVE this site because they have great recipes that range in difficulty and prep/cook time. This is a really simple recipe - quick, no crazy ingredients and inexpensive!


Recipe and photo courtesy of Cooking Light.
Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs
Full recipe here.

8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or bone-in, whatever you can find)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (or flakes)
6 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Cooking spray


1. Preheat broiler.
2. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken to bowl; toss to coat. Place chicken on broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil chicken 5 minutes on each side.
3. Combine honey and vinegar in small bowl, stirring well. Remove chicken from oven; brush half of honey mixture on chicken. Broil 1 minute. Remove chicken from oven and turn over. Brush chicken with remaining honey mixture. Broil 1 additional minute or until chicken is done.

I can't always find 8 chicken thighs in one pack, so I just go with what I have which is usually about 6 total. These come out sweet, spicy and delicious. I try to be sure our plates are colorful so I like serving these with roasted sweet potatoes, green beans and sauteed squash and onions. 

"Taste the rainbow" should refer to a variety of fruits and vegetables, NOT skittles.

1 comment:

  1. Chicken thighs are so tasty! I LOVE them. My wife and I can not get enough apple cider vinegar, also. This one looks like a winner for us.

    ReplyDelete